Sunday, October 12, 2008

We're home

We made it back home Friday at 9:15pm. We would have been home sooner but we got stuck in stop and go traffic for over 45 minutes! Ugh, nothing like being on the road for 3-4 hours and then getting stuck in traffic......

Anyhoo, the viewing and funeral went fairly well.....as well as they are supposed to be, anyway. They did such an amazing job. Mom looked so peaceful.The casket my dad picked out was gorgeous......it had embroidery inside that said "Mother". They also picked out beautiful flowers from the children and a set from the grandchildren. For the viewing they let immediate family back first; my dad, my sisters, brother and myself. That was tough. The last time I had seen mom she was sitting up in bed with her eyes open, trying to talk to me. We all supported each other, which helped so much. I know Zane means well with being there for me and supporting me, but it's nothing like having family around you at a time like this. It was also nice to see family I had not seen in over 20 years. Mom was born in Hagerstown, MD and there ended up being two vehicle loads of people from Hagerstown at the viewing. The hardest day was by far the funeral. We all were doing well until they started playing "Amazing Grace" over the speaker. Once they played that, I lost it. Honestly, everyone lost it. But the hardest part of all was after everyone had left, we all had our turn at saying goodbye. We went in turn up to the casket......me being the youngest I was the last of the children to say goodbye to her. I placed a few pictures of Tyler in with her, along with a little note I wrote to her....then I kissed her and told her I loved her. All of the children walked away from the casket so my dad could go up, and that broke all of our hearts. He kneeled on the bench they had in front and just sobed. It was only for a few seconds, but that is something that I will never in my life forget.

After the funeral, a small group came back to dad's for a little get together that was really nice. At the end of the night, dad took my hand and before he could say antying he broke down. I just hugged him and told him it was ok for him to cry. He did say he knew it was so hard on all of us, but I told him he didn't have to be so strong for us. We would be strong for him. He has a picture of him and my mom he now carries around in his pocket from when they first met. He takes it out every once in awhile and looks at it, then puts it back in his pocket.

My sister Kathie is staying with him until Wednesday, which we are all thankful for. I keep thinking about when she goes home and dad is in the house all alone. I keep seeing him breaking down in front of the casket. I keep seeing him getting choked up when he has to call someone and tell them she passed away October 4th.

Here is the card that the funeral home gave out. I love the poem my sister picked out:

5 comments:

Marie said...

Christine, what a beautiful poem your sister picked out. I can't imagine the pain of having to say good-bye to your mom. I'm so sorry for your loss, I'll keep you (and your dad) in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

Phew, I can't stop crying. :( Whew. I could see it all. I know what you mean about family--Patrick and I haven't been to a funeral since we've been married (we couldn't afford to get him to his Grandma's funeral a few years back) but I'm sure we will feel the same way--nothing like family.

((HUGS)) Wish I could be more coherent in what I'm meaning to write. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out and the kids were wondering why I was crying. ((MORE HUGS))

Christine said...

Thank you so much, Marie. *hugs*

Patrice, this blog post took me over an hour to type out. I had to stop and wipe my eyes every time I would go to type something or think about mom. *big hugs*

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post. My condolences.

Christine said...

Thanks so much......